Founded in 2004, Sling Media, Inc. is the leading provider of video placeshifting products and services for consumers and television service providers.
Sling Media's flagship product, the internationally-acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox®, transforms the way consumers watch television—allowing consumers to watch their home TV on any Internet-connected PC, Mac, tablet or smartphone—from virtually anywhere in the world!
Sling Media's innovative SlingPlayer™ software connects consumers on all types of computing platforms to their Slingbox, giving them complete control over their living room TV. The Slingbox also gives consumers the ability to control practically any audio/video device including, a digital cable box, satellite receiver, digital video recorder (DVR), DVD player, gaming system or even a still video camera.
Sling Media Highlights
- In June 2005, the first Slingbox is launched to critical acclaim in the US retail market.
- The following year, in August of 2006, the Slingbox product line expands with the launch of the Slingbox PRO. International expansion also begins - with the opening of offices in the UK - signaling the introduction of the Slingbox to the European market.
- Also in 2006, Sling Media unveils SlingPlayer Mobile™—and for the first time ever, consumers can now enjoy watching all of their home TV content on a mobile phone.
- The third generation of the Slingbox is launched in September 2007 with the introduction of the Slingbox SOLO. Sling Media and the Slingbox and SlingPlayer product families receive numerous awards and recognition over the years, spanning innovation, engineering and design.
- In October of 2007, Sling Media is acquired by EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) and becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of the Colorado based television technology provider.
- In September 2008 Sling Media launches the Slingbox Pro-HD, bringing HD streaming to customers who have a high-definition TV source at home.
- In 2009, Sling Media launches SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone, triggering a massive growth in consumers watching television on mobile devices with larger screens.
- In January 2010, Sling Media unveils the Sling Receiver 300 and the Slingbox 700U, both designed to help television service providers deliver "TV Anywhere" to their customers. The Slingbox 700U—the smallest Slingbox ever—is awarded a Gold Award and Best in Show at the 2010
- International Design Excellence Awards (IDEA®) competition.
- The following year, in June 2010, Sling Media continues to expand the SlingPlayer Mobile product line, introducing SlingPlayer Mobile for Android, and later that year SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad and Windows Phone 7 smartphones, rapidly increasing the numbers of consumers able to enjoy their home TV on new mobile platforms with unmatched quality.
- The Sling Media product line continues to rapidly expand and today is distributed direct to consumers in over 5,000 retail stores in 20 countries, and to several television service providers in North America, Europe and Asia.
- Sling Media launches its fourth generation Slingbox devices, the Slingbox 350 and Slingbox 500, in October 2012, bringing true HD streaming, Wi-Fi connectivity and many other customer-requested improvements.